Cloverfield (2008)

I first heard about Cloverfield over at Empty Bookshelf Reviews. Nate's review of Cloverfield convinced me to see the movie as soon as possible (and had that not been enough, my friend Dan weighed in on Cloverfield soon after). So here's my brief review:

Do not fail to see Cloverfield in theaters.

I'm not going to discuss the plot, and I recommend avoiding any trailers, because the movie was shot from the point of view of one of the characters, who is carrying a camcorder. As such, several plot devices become available. One is that the audience is not given any foreshadowing or special knowledge -- we see what the characters see. You don't get to see shadows on the wall just behind the oblivious protagonists, nor evil creepers approaching while someone sleeps, nor does the camera pan to give you a glimpse of what's on the other side of a wall. Other movies do that; this one doesn't. For that reason, I think it would be appropriate to go into the movie with as little information as possible.

As one of the few movies I've been excited about enough to see in theaters, Cloverfield was just as exciting as I could have hoped, and more. Go see this movie.

No comments: